Leaderboard
728x15

Cool Upload Photo images

Large Rectangle

Some cool upload photo images:


The Japanese are Ambivalent towards Nature
upload photo
Image by timtak
I uploaded this one to illustrate how little the Japanese are into Nature. I know that they worship it but a lot of the time they avoid it or make no effort to experience it.

This is shot from a restaurant of a seafood market and mall in Hagi, the most popular tourist attraction in Yamaguchi prefecture in 2006. It is called like "Hagi Sea Ma-to" ("sea market") and it sells all the fruit of the sea (please view my other photos). But for some reason they built the mall/market about 50 yards from the sea, seperated from the latter by a warehouse. One can only just see the sea from a gap in the car park.

Why wasn't the Sea Ma-to built on the waterfront so that one could look out accross the choppy sea of Japan while scoffying salmon? Because no one wants to look at the sea. Not even on a nice day. Why is this?

1) The Japanese value convenience more than anything else, and it is more convenient to have the warehouse next to the water's edge, than it is to have a restaurant next to the water's edge.

2) To the Japanese, nature is associated with disaster so they prefer to keep a respectful distance from things thave such awesome power. Indeed, Japanese nature is more inclined to cause both suffering and happiness due to the relative prevalence of earthquakes, tidal waves and hurricanes. Perhaps the positioning of this restaurant is a wise precautionary measure.

3) The Japanese feel themselves to be much more at one with nature as demostnrated by their ability to get their kit off and bathe in the nude with other people, or smell and enjoy their own faeces, or sell and purchase sex services in a manner that would be unacceptable in the UK. Being so much closer to nature the Japanese do not feel the urge to reinforce their link to it. It is rather Westerners that are so used to ignoring or dominating nature that they feel the urge to get on down in amongst it, occasionally, in their spare time.

4) As argued by Rene GIrard or is accessible from psycholanalytic theory, and is apparent from the way that spirit embodiments are hidden and wrapped in Shinto shrines, the sacred is very often taboo. Perhaps the Japanese have an ambivalent unconscious attitude towards nature that encourages them to keep a safe distance. This notion that the negative feelings towards nature are unconscious, and that Japanese people are not even aware of their ambivalence towards nature is born out by the way in which Japanese generally protest that they like nature, and do not seem to realise the lack of restaurants by the sea, or bars by rivers, or places to swim in rivers, or beaches, or paths to the tops of mountains.

5) Japanese women rule Japan and women are generally less interested in nature in both the UK and Japan. If Japanese men were in charge of where restaurants were positioned then they would be positioned on the water's edge as they are in Hawaii or other locations where there are attractive areas of water.

Having said all that, the seafood served in the restaurants at Hagi Sea Mart is reasonably priced, very fresh and extremely tasty, and that is why most of the visitors come. That is why we came. I attempted to squint at the sea during my meal. Perhaps the Japanese imagine the sea as they scoff their salmon.


EXPLORE @ DECEMBER 21, 2006
upload photo
Image by Ennor
I last uploaded one of these posters in March, so thought it would be nice to do one near the end of the year.

1. Bedruthan_Z0657L, 2. Lakes2005_Z3958L, 3. Penzance_Z0444L, 4. Spring @ Eden_Z13512, 5. Sunset_Z16436a, 6. Flora_Z7594squared, 7. Here be faeries..., 8. Eden_Z9779L,

9. King of the Crows at sunrise, 10. Sunset_Z5139L, 11. Lakes2006_Z15646, 12. Global changes, 13. Another cute lamb pic :), 14. Watergate_1774Lc, 15. Sunset_Z11973XL, 16. Sunset_Z18549,

17. Red phone box and accessories, 18. Bedruthan_Z0712xr, 19. Just hopped in to say hello..., 20. Garden_Z6312L, 21. St. Columb_Z11055XLV, 22. Padstow_S00973, 23. White Spider_Z5506L, 24. Garden_Z1059L,

25. StIves_2043L, 26. Garden_Z1412L, 27. Hoverfly_Z6185L, 28. Dartmoor02_0309L, 29. Padstow_S00954, 30. Looking for a winter home..., 31. Lakes03_0515L, 32. Bedruthan Sunset_Z10510XL,

33. Truro Cathedral_Z11747, 34. North Cornwall_Z12195, 35. Penzance_Z0453L, 36. Lakes2004_2739Lx, 37. Watergate_1662L, 38. Sunset_Z1848L, 39. Sunset_Z2435L, 40. Sunset_Z0571PanL,

41. Newquay1564L, 42. Lakes2006_Z15651, 43. Blue skies, 44. Macro_0123L, 45. Two from one-cp, 46. Wet leaves - holiday style!, 47. Moon_Z6973, 48. Lakes2004_3178Lx,

49. Sunset_S00490, 50. Life... don't talk to me about life, 51. Cat_Z1719Lb, 52. Bedruthan_Z0708L, 53. Newquay_Z0198L, 54. Sunset_Z7819L, 55. Spirit of the moon, 56. Chaffinch_Z11485,

57. Golden sunrise and church, 58. WCornCoast2385L, 59. Spring @ Eden_Z13644, 60. Lakes2005_Z3283L, 61. Crocus_Z12701, 62. December rose with tears, 63. Garden_Z0471L, 64. Nature_Z0643L,

65. An alternative website!, 66. Bedruthan_Z0650l, 67. Lakes2005_Z3227L, 68. Truro_3823L, 69. Lakes03_0622L, 70. Bedruthan_Z0674L, 71. flickr.com/photos/21222992@N00/10490717/, 72. Macro_0760Lb,

73. Lanyon Quoit_CS_0027, 74. Lakes2005_Z3236L, 75. Padstow_Z0845L, 76. Christmas @ Eden_S01827, 77. StColumb_4721L

Scout: Find your photographs in Flickr's Explore


How I Met Michael Jackson
upload photo
Image by Shavar Ross
Written and uploaded: November 1, 2005
©by ShavarRoss.com

This is a true and accurate account from my experiences meeting Michael Jackson. It is not meant to degrade or character bash him in any way. To a certain extent, I am still very much a fan of Michael Jackson. You must draw your own conclusions as to the true purpose or nature of me revealing this story. Either way, it's all therapeutic for me and I've always wanted to share this, one of many amazing stories from my life.

Now don't you go run and tell everyone what I'm about to mention to you. Only kidding...um, I think. Anyway, in the short 34 years of my amazing life, I have experienced a heck of a lot. So far my life has been one of fame, fortune and fun. I have also experienced many dangerous and perilous times in my life....the near death experiences, the confusion and the lack of peace. Ah, those were the days. I've come to learn that life is like a movie...you're its star, there's always someone watching and if you're a "good guy," you always win.

I''ve also had the opportunity to meet and actually spend some valuable time with a lot of famous people. I've prepared for a scene with Oprah Winfrey, "read lines" with First Lady Nancy Reagan, performed on stage with "Mr. Television" himself, Milton Berle, played pick-up ball with Denzel Washington, slept over Nina Simone's house, compared hand sizes with Mike Tyson, walked the halls of Muhammad Ali's mansion, took a picture with Sidney Poitier, and even jammed on drums as Clarence Clemens from Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band blew away on his saxophone. I have been around, lol!

Now the ONE person I really got nervous about meeting was Michael Jackson. So here goes this story. I'll try not to be too long so hold on to your coffee!

Alright, the photo above is a photo of when my father used to work for Joe Jackson's (Michael Jackson's father) music company (in the old Motown Building on Sunset Blvd.) back in the mid 1980's. My dad was always trying to manage my career, his career, and just about anyone who would give him a chance to prove himself a true hustler---from The Bronx. He was a "mover and a shaker" as they say, and it always seemed like everyone knew my father. Somehow, someway, he ended up workin' for the "King of Pop's" pop.

I actually met Michael Jackson twice. The first time was at his home in Encino, California when I was about 11. My dad was good friends with singer Betty Wright at the time. Anyway, she 's the "Clean-Up Woman." She also had a short comeback in the late 80's with a song called "No Pain, No Gain."

Betty wanted to drop a music demo tape off to Michael so I went along for the ride. I remember us waiting at the front entrance of his home (in Encino, California) and he actually came out to the running car to pick up the tape, lol. All I remember was that thick, big, red robe he wore and that high-pitched voice. Man, he and Diana Ross sure did sound alike! End of episode 1.

Gosh this is long already, I must write a book...I will right a book!

Episode 2. Jump cut to: I was 14, so 1985-ish. The Roxy on The Sunset Strip in Hollywood, California. The whole Jackson siblings are seated in the balcony to preview Joe Jackson's hottest new kid group--- an almost complete replicated version of The Jackson 5. The place is jumpin' and I'm there, in the middle of it all.

Look, over there, oh snap! There's my friend Alfonso Ribeiro, The Tap Dance Kid and hot off the Pepsi commercial he did with Michael. Boy, can he dance. He'll always be Carlton from "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" to some though.

Back to past tense.

Anyway, I had heard that Janet Jackson was there (in the balcony) and since we were friends from the show "Diff'rent Strokes," I asked Alfonso if he could take me up there to her and also introduce me to Michael...again! Like it wasn't nothin', and after getting through some heavy security, I arrived with Alfonso to that balcony...oh that balcony, I'll never forget it! They were all there. Rebi, Latoya, Janet and the King of Pop himself--and all strangely giggling amongst themselves. Must've been "inside" jokes. They were like kids. I couldn't believe my eyes, that I was in Michael's presence, so I froze. Alfonso grabbed me and pushed me towards Janet as if he were forcing his best friend to go to the high school prom with his dateless sister. She didn't notice me right away but guess who did? Michael screeched in a high pitched voice, "Oh I remember you, you're on the show with Janet, right?" He called out to his sister, "Janet guess who's here? it's your little friend Dudley..." After Janet and I had a nice reunion, I got to meet Latoya and their other sister Rebi. Then, uh oh...the show is starting! (present tense) "What should I do?" I thought.
Lights out. Then, like a movie playing itself out:

Michael:
(to Shavar)
Come sit down, sit down, watch the show with us.

Chairs pull up. Hmmmm...how did Alfonso find his seat so quickly. "He's been up here before" I thought. Michael surprisingly pulls up a chair for me! Wow, I'm stunned! Lights even darker now. Intro. Applause. Music. The show starts. Why it's The Jackson 5 all over again. No where near as good though.

My only goal: To get one good look at Michael Jackson before the night is over! I am literally sitting RIGHT next to him and mind you, this was the mid 1980's. Michael was HOT at the time. In between the strobe and spot lights, I glance at him. It's unreal! I mean, HE'S unreal...literally. He had what looked to be the perfect face, yet so porcelain, so surreal. I got a bit scared and nervous.

For the whole set I just stared at him, in such awe of this man so famous to the world. I tried to figure out how his powerful influence could have so many people ridiculously in tears, sobbing and crying hysterically in his concerts.

For a brief moment, Michael must have felt me hawking my eyes at him. I just couldn't help it.

Michael:
(to Shavar again)
Could you move to the left just a little bit. I can't see.

He DID seem to really be enjoying the show....and that imitation Jackson 5 performing? I could care less! I was sitting next to Michael Jackson!

And lastly, to make a long story even longer, the boring show finally came to an end but surprisingly to an almost standing ovation! Standing ovation? What? Was Michael standing too? More giggles.

Smash cut to: Kid imitation Jackson 5 group coming up to the balcony to meet Michael! Michael inviting them to his home AND to Disneyland. Close up: Me hearing it all.

Silence. Waiting for my invite. Silence again. Nothing. No nice meeting you, no nothing. I turned my head for a quick second to look for Alfonso and the Jackson Clan had disappeared! Poof! Like right out of thin air! That's when I realized that celebrities have an art to their grand exits. It's all very stealth. Then the announcer said something to the effect that Michael, Janet, Latoya and Rebbie had "left the building." Depression, dejection, rejection and everything else you can fill in seem to settle into my 14 year old heart. I was devastated. Michael didn't invite me to his DisneyWorld.

I finally found Alfonso. "You didn't go?", I asked intently. "Why didn't he invite us?" I hammered Alfonso again. "Oh 'cause we too old man...we teenagers now and if you over 12, he don't like you no more," replied Alfonso. Alfonso laughed it off but I still didn't understand him. It would take me nearly 20 years to understand what he meant and even now I am still not sure what he meant by that statement.

That night, and all throughout the entire night, I found myself sobbing hysterically to the point where I made myself literally sick to my stomach. I threw up several times and thought I was gonna die because I got to sit next to Michael Jackson.

In hindsight, maybe it was all for the best that I never got invited, who knows...(June 25, 2009, but may he now rest in peace).

June 26, 2009: Note: Just know that Michael Jackson inviting me to sit next to him beats Disneyland with a bunch of kids any day.

©November 1, 2005
ShavarRoss.com
(subject to future edits, corrections, etc.)
--Photo not mine--


Banner