Leaderboard
728x15

Sunday hits San Francisco

Large Rectangle

A few nice photo equipment images I found:


Sunday hits San Francisco
photo equipment
Image by tychay
Blogged in The Woodwork: Faking Long Exposure.
Use for my PHP Advent 2008: PHP without PHP.
Blogged in The Woodwork: PHP without PHP.

Sunday hits San Francisco
Treasure Island, San Francisco, California

Nikon D3, Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G, Gitzo G1228LVL tripod, Really Right Stuff BH-55 ballhead, Really Right Stuff PCL-II panoramic clamp
Aperture 2.0 (raw fine tuning, straighten) nik Color Efex Pro (graduated neutral density, polarization, pro contrast, contrast color range, brilliance/warmth) Photoshop (merge, heal)
2 exposures, 10 multi-exposures, 1/100sec @ f/18, iso200, 14mm (14mm)

____________________________________________________

Sunrise at Treasure Island

The weather was miserable on Saturday but on the off chance that it would clear up before sunrise, I drove down to Treasure Island and tried my hand at outdoor photography in over a year. For me, setting up in the pre-dawn for a photograph at sunrise is chicken soup for the soul.

The sun only broke through for a few minutes, but it was enough to take this photograph. By the time I jockeyed my camera for a satisfactory angle, I found out I was setting up in the water!

Since this lens cannot mount a ND filter, I stopped down as much as possible (f/22), set the ISO as low as possible (LO -1EV) and then took 10 exposures averaged in camera (multi-exposure mode), to emulate what a ND 1.2 would have done at f/16.

There is a small cheat here. In order to capture most of the sky and the horizon the way I wanted, I had to swipe part of the rocks in the foreground from a different (but identically set) exposure, technically this makes this a vertical panorama, but since the merge point is in the (multi-exposure integrated) water, I just blended them and avoided anything fancy.

There was an insane amount of dust on the senor and lens element. Because of this, I had to use the heal tool liberally. A digital grade ND brought back the rocks in the foreground and allowed the sky to be saturated and still hold contrast. The rest of the postprocessing was done to give it that postcard look and then toned back a small bit. u-points were used to keep the rock out of shadow and the buildings in North Beach (the only thing in direct reflected sunlight) from being totally blown out.

Click for original photograph (If you cannot view this, add me to your contacts and I’ll add you to my friends. If you are already a contact of mine then just jet me a message and I'll fix your status.)


Left-eyed
photo equipment
Image by tychay
Blogging in The Woodwork: Da Grip

Left-eyed
North Beach, San Francisco, California

Leica M8, Cosina-Voigtländer NOKTON 35mm F1.2 Aspherical
Aperture (white balance, crop) nik Dfine 2.0, nik Viveza, nik Silver Efex Pro, nik Sharpener Pro. BorderFX
1/500sec, iso 320, 35mm (47mm)

____________________________________________________

Another version of the same image. I used this shot because my left eye cast a weird reflection from the vanity mirror lights.

It seemed like a good idea to apply a mask to only get color from the eye. I apologize that my abuse of Viveza makes me look like I have a sharingan.

Click for original photograph (If you cannot view this, add me to your contacts and I’ll add you to my friends. If you are already a contact of mine then just jet me a message and I'll fix your status.)

Banner